When it comes to advertising awards, there as many award shows as there are agencies. Every major region aims to celebrate creativity with it’s own set of awards. Among the awards, I have been an avid follower of European advertising awards – be it the Epica Awards or Eurobest.
Compared to advertising from rest of the world, skin show and sexual innuendo is pretty common among award-winning ads from Europe. Most of these countries don’t have the kind of problems developing countries have – population, poverty etc. It is perhaps reflected in the advertising categories (Dairy products, Alcoholic Drinks, Non-Alcoholic Drinks), the sophistication of ads and the kind of brands that resort to advertising (kitchen knives, furnishings, an orchestra) and so on.
Herewith a collection of print ads from European award festivals:
1. Ahlens, a department store in Sweden released vertical strip ads to highlight the various things available at the store. What was charming story of things used to rescue a cat from a tree. Here is the full campaign series:
Agency: King, Stockholm
3. Bic: brilliant series to dramatize the proposition: Joy of Writing.
Agency: Jung von Matt, Germany
4. Braun: brings out the human in men
Agency: BBDO, Germany
5. Chupa Chups: sugar free, hence no ants. Copied several times over in other parts of the world.
Agency: DDB ESPANA
6. Colgate Total: ‘prevents discolouration of teeth’ is the proposition.
Agency: Young & Rubicam, Germany
7 & 8. Corail Teoz trains: two ads to promote the comfort of traveling by France’s Teoz trains. The chauffer sitting in front is hilarious.
9. Dank: this campaign won the Epica d’Or in 2009 at the Epica Awards.
10. Dextro: brawn for your brain, is the claim.
Agency: Kempertrautmann, Germany
11. Glenfiddich: every year counts
Agency: 180 Amsterdam
12. Halls: brilliant telegraphic ad. Claim: balsamic action.
Agency: JWT, Italy
13. IKEA: your dreams come true, at least as far as home furnishings are concerned.
Agency: DDB Germany/ Düsseldorf
14. Inlingua: your English may make you seem like an alien.
Agency: Kolle Rebbe Werbeagentur, Hamburg, Germany
15. Kodak Chrome camera roll: catches everything in low light is the claim.
Agency: Ogilvy & Mather, Germany
16. Langley Travel agency specializes in ski trips. And they are now in Japan. Racist, perhaps but funny.
Agency: Goss, Sweden
17. Leica dramatized the product attribute of 12x zoom brilliantly in this outdoor campaign.
Agency: Advico Young & Rubicam
18. Lisbon airport has a new look.
Agency: BBDO Portugal
19. McKinsey recruitment ad: brilliant targeting of potential candidates.
Agency: Ruf Lanz Werbeagentur
More ads from Europa, in Part Deux of this post.